How to Search for the Right Assisted Living Facilities
Beginning to search for assisted living facilities for your loved one or for yourself can be a difficult process. It brings up many emotions, including becoming worried and stressed about which place is the right choice. You can research everything, read through all the reviews, ask for referrals from friends, but you won’t actually know for yourself until you visit a facility and ask the questions on your own.
So you’re probably sitting there after reading too many reviews, or even after having trouble finding the right sites and you’re wondering, “Where do I even begin? What questions should I ask?”
There are many things to think about with this process, but after taking the time to make a list of requirements that the perfect assisted living facilities should have, it will get easier. Think about your loved one, think about how they’re used to living and what they’re used to having available to them. It’s imperative that the transition into their new assisted living home is as close to seamless as possible, so think about where their comfort lies. For example, does your loved one have any animals? If so, you’re going to want to find a place that accepts them.
The aforementioned questions only scratch the surface, but that’s why we’re here to help. The goal is to narrow down your possibilities. Create a list of a few that you can evaluate in person with more in-depth and serious questions. These types of questions include everything from the type of care to what a normal day entails for them.
Here are some questions that you should ask while interviewing the home:
- Is it covered by your insurance? If so, what will the final price be?
- Is there around the clock care available in case of emergencies?
- What is the pet policy?
- What type of activities are offered to residents?
- Is the community near any attractions, such as shopping or golfing?
- Do the residents have free reign to do everyday things they are used to, such as driving, or leaving whenever they please?
- What is the visitation policy and how can we contact them?
- Are there housekeeping and laundry services?
- Is there reliable transportation available for doctor appointments, events, etc. for those who do not have a vehicle?
- Are the grounds handicap accessible?
- How secure is the facility?
All of these questions, among many more help make the transition for you or a loved one easier. While living in any of the many assisted living facilities can be difficult at first, having all the prerequisites met can make all the difference in the long run.
Do your best not to worry while you’re on your search, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. We understand that this time is extremely challenging for not only you but the loved one you’re concerned about, and our goal is to help. Remember to be patient, don’t rush! The situation may seem urgent but it’s very important to take it step by step, and truly evaluate the entire scenario when looking for a home. If your loved one is not capable of contributing to the search due to his or her health condition, do your best to remember what they love and how they like to live.